About Moon Camp Discovery
In the future, to enable astronauts to stay on the Moon for long periods of time, new infrastructures must be developed to overcome important challenges. Such challenges include protection from radiation and meteorites, energy production, the extraction and recycling of water, food production and much more.
In Moon Camp Discovery each team’s mission is to 3D design only one component of a Moon Camp, using Tinkercad. Teams can choose to design the:
Lunar Orbital Space Station
Moon Camp Discovery is a non-competitive mission for beginners. All participants whose entries comply with the guidelines will receive a special participation certificate and their project will be displayed on the Moon Camp online platform.
Teams design one component of the Moon Camp using Tinkercad. Once they upload their design, they will receive a Moon Camp participation certificate.
Complexity level: beginners
Age range: up to (and including) 19 years old
Language: language of their choice. NEW!
Registrations: open from 14 September 2022 to 18 April 2023
Registrations for the challenge are open from 14 September 2022 to 18 April 2023.
Who can participate?
To participate in the Moon Camp Discovery, teams should be comprised of 1 to 6 students and must be supported by a teacher, educator or parent. An adult must submit the project for minors.
Participation in Moon Camp Discovery is open worldwide* to teams of students aged up to 19 years old, but it is recommended for students aged 6 to 14 years old. Students attending a postsecondary/tertiary institution are not eligible to participate.
Teams are allowed to submit a project to both Moon Camp Discovery and Moon Camp Explorers or Pioneers.
There is no limit to the number of teams a teacher or educator and school or club can enter.
* Moon Camp Challenge is open worldwide. In the framework of the current collaboration agreement between ESA and Airbus Foundation, if you apply from an ESA Member State*, Slovakia, Slovenia, Canada, Lithuania or Latvia your team will have to fulfil the following extra conditions:
• At least 50% of team members must be citizens of an ESA Member State, Slovakia, Slovenia, Canada, Lithuania or Latvia.
• Each team member must be:
‒ Enrolled in a full time primary or secondary school located in an ESA Member State, Slovakia, Slovenia, Canada, Lithuania or Latvia
‒ or, be home-schooled (certified by the National Ministry of Education or delegated authority in an ESA Member State, Slovakia, Slovenia, Canada, Lithuania or Latvia)
‒ or, be a member of a club or after-school group, such as Science Club, Scouts or the like.
* ESA Member States in 2022: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
How to submit the project?
1. The 3D model must be created exclusively using Autodesk® Tinkercad™. Submissions created in other software programs will not be accepted.
2. Projects must be submitted to the Moon Camp online platform. The deadline is 18 April 2023.
3. By submitting the project, the participants agree that their project will be shared on the Moon Camp platform. Participants accept that ESA Education and partners have the right to use the entirety or parts of the project for outreach and education purposes.
4. Submissions must include:
a short paragraph description of the project;
at least one screen capture of the 3D model as a .JPG or .PNG;
the public link to the Tinkercad project, with an Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 (CC-BY-SA 3.0) license.
5. Each team must model all individual components of the design. It is not permitted to import existing CAD data into the design, with the exception of any files provided by Autodesk, ESA, or Airbus Foundation.
6. The team must be the sole author/owner of the project and all materials submitted to the Moon Camp Challenge. Projects sponsored or funded by third parties may not be used. No third party (including your school or project sponsors) should have any rights to materials you submit.
7. ESA and Airbus Foundation, at their sole discretion, reserve the right to disqualify submissions that do not follow the guidelines, or that contain messages that are deemed inappropriate or inadequate for the audience.
3D Design tool
If your team is joining the Moon Camp Discovery you will have to create your 3D Design using Autodesk Tinkercad. Tinkercad is a free, easy-to-use web-based app for 3D design.
Are you new to 3D Design? Don’t worry; start learning 3D design following the step-by-step tutorials in the Resources section.
For any questions, consult the FAQ section or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org