Mooncamp challenge
Airbus and Autodesk logo      ESA logo
Explorers gallery 2022 – Moon Camp Challenge
For a better experience please change your browser to CHROME, FIREFOX, OPERA or Internet Explorer.

Explorers gallery 2022

Moon Camp Explorers Gallery 2021-2022

In Moon Camp Explorers each team’s mission is to 3D design a complete Moon Camp using Tinkercad. They also have to explain how they will use local resources, protect astronauts from the dangerous of space and describe the living and working facilities.

Team: team E

European School Brussels III  Brussels    Belgium 13   2 / 1
External link for 3d
Project description

The moon Camp project that we created includes the solar-powered invention, a lunar nuclear station, the lunar lander, the lunar rover, the lunar orbital space station, the space suit and the rocket. There is also going to be the base where the beds are, also where they eat. A laboratory where they do experiments

There is also going to be an observatory to look at the stars.

Where do you want to build your Moon Camp?
On the far side of the Moon
Why did you choose this location?

We chose the far side of the moon because it was an interesting place and we wanted to discover it. We wanted to discover the far side of the moon because from the earth, we can’t really see its back side, only the 18% and the other 82% remained unobserved until 1959. The far side of the moon is named like that because there is not much or no sunlight. An advantage for them is that there is some water-ice so that’s another reason why we chose that place.

How do you plan to build your Mooncamp? Which materials will you use?

Most of the materials that we need to build the moon camp will mainly be shipped from earth. Some of it though, can be mined from the lunar surface to help build the moon camp. Although, they will need to have the right tools to build it and someone who knows how to build the moon camp. This process might take up to five years to be completely finished and also it will cost approximately 10 billion dollars.

Water
Food
Electricity
Air
Protection

Water: principally will come from the earth on a rocket, the rocket will carry water for three months. Also, from the water ice that is on the moon. There will be water stores where they keep the water when it is needed.

Food: The astronauts will receive a wide variety of freeze-dried and prepackaged meals. They can warm up the food or even cook it in microwaves and ovens. They often receive traditional courses and snacks, helping the crew to share their cultures while having a taste of home.

Power: they will mainly produce energy from solar panels thanks to the sun and the radiation. Also, from lunar nuclear station.

Air: On the moon there’s no air to breathe, but however there is a very thin layer of gases on its surface that we can almost call an atmosphere. Technically it is considered an exosphere. To conclude, yes there is air on the moon, but just in a form of gas.

Protection: We calculated that if is covered with at least 50 centimeters of lunar soil would be sufficient to be protected. A deeper chamber shielded with about 10 meters of water would be sufficient to protect against solar storms, which can cause radiation levels to spike dramatically

Describe a day on the Moon for one of your Moon Camp astronauts

The first thing after waking up is to eat something approximately at 7:30. And depending on the work of the astronaut, some go to research, others do tests, others observe, etc. After doing their work, they go to eat all together at 13:00. In the afternoon they return to work until 18:00. Afterwards they can relax. Except for those who stand guard at night. And those astronauts during the day sleep. All the astronauts would work 8 hours during the day and seven days of the week

Other projects:

  The Moon Conquerors

 
  Givemefive.ai
    India
  MISSION CHARLIE

 
  École Secondaire Casavant
    Canada
  Projects Gallery

 
  Gallery
    Afghanistan
  Solar Cadets

 
  Newlands School Dubai
    United Arab Emirates

Top