Working as a Team remotely with Fusion 360
1. Creating an Account
Fusion 360 is a free 3D design software for students, educators, and academic institutions.
1. Go to: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators# and download the current version for educators.
2. Open Fusion 360 via the desktop icon.
- If you are already registered with Autodesk:
- into Fusion 360 using your Autodesk account.OR
- If you are not registered with Autodesk:
• Choose your country (1) and your educational role (2).
• Enter your name, email and create a password in the following popup (shown on the right side). You will need to agree to the terms and conditions to create an account.
3. On the Fusion 360 website click on Step 2 to get access to the Fusion 360 software and follow the instructions.
4. Download the software in Step 3.
2. Designing together
Creating a virtual classroom for your students.
When you log in to Fusion 360 for the first time you will be asked to create your Fusion Team. Using the Fusion Team functionality a teacher can invite his students to work collaborative on their Moon Camp projects. It is possible for a teacher to host multiple teams and assign students to different projects.
After opening Fusion 360, on the left side of the interface, you will find the Team control panel. Following the Data menu, each team member can access the designs of the team (1).
The Team owner can also manage the designs and invite (2) new team members using the People menu.
By clicking on your team name (1) a dropdown will open, showing the teams you are member of. By pressing the gearwheel (2) you can furthermore access the web console to manage your teams projects, their members and assignments.
Once you open the team’s web console you can organise the team settings (1), control the status and invite new team members (2) and manage the projects as well as assign roles to different team members working on the projects (3).
(2) After inviting the students via their accounts email addresses, they will receive an email to accept the invitation via the “Join Team”-button.
The “new” team members will now receive a second e-mail to confirm their membership and provide some general information about the Fusion Teams
Furthermore they will appear in the team’s member list, so that the team leader can assign projects and roles to each team member.
(3) Through the projects header in the team’s web control panel, you can manage the teams projects. Here you can also assign roles to the team members, like editor or viewer, which allows a structured cooperative teamwork.
When a team member is assigned to a project, he/she will see the team’s projects in the web control panel as well as the desktop app. After getting assigned as an editor they can create and edit existing projects to work collaborative.
When accessing a project for the first time it may be necessary an extra validation by the team leader to approve a team member editing of an existing design in his/her dashboard.
When accessing your private dashboard by clicking the Fusion logo, you can open the different projects and manage them.
3. Working remotely as a team
Once the team members have access to the designs of their team and have been assigned the “editor” role, they can work on existing and/or create new designs.
It is also possible to give feedback to your team members through the “comments” option on the bottom left corner in the design interface of the Fusion desktop app. The comments will be furthermore be visible in the web interface of the project. They can be used to monitor progress of the designs development and review process.
Assembling a design
If you decide to design different components of your Moon Camp separately, you can review them individually and afterwards merge the different .f3d files as a .f3z file to submit your Moon Camp project to the challenge.
What is a F3Z file?
A .f3z file is an Autodesk Fusion 360 file that can contain one or more .f3d Fusion 360 3D design files. Using a .f3z file you can reference multiple .f3d design files. Moon Camp Pioneers teams working remotely and designing separately components of their projects can combine the different parts of their project using a .f3z file.